How to instruct

Barristers are subject to the “intervention rule”. This means that I normally need to have an instructing solicitor. This can be a solicitor in private practice or it can be in-house counsel employed by a company. In either case, the solicitor can be in New Zealand or overseas.

However, in some circumstances I can accept direct instructions; this generally involves providing opinions or acting disputes which are not proceeding in a Court.

I am happy to discuss potential briefs, and whether it will be possible to retain me directly. I am happy to assist, where necessary, in the appointment of an instructing solicitor.

Print Email